Parents of Alum Rock Union School District students, community members and Somos Mayfair plan to protest in advance of tonight’s school board meeting and the potential appointment of a new board member.
The protest, which is scheduled to start 30 minutes before the 6pm board meeting, hopes to sway trustees Esau Herrera, Dolores Marquez and Andres Quintero from appointing a new board member before Karen Martinez joins the board in December. Martinez won a trustee seat in this month’s election and the county does not certify results until Dec. 4.
“It’s not too late for Alum Rock Trustees to reconsider,” Jaime Alvarado, executive director of Somos Mayfair, said in a statement. “I hope they do and delay the appointment to allow for a process that is transparent and honors the will of Alum Rock voters”
Last week, Alum Rock community members raised concerns that trustees were rushing the appointment process to replace Darcie Green in a non-transparent, undemocratic fashion. Green resigned from her trustee seat to take a position on the county education board.
In addition to delaying the appointment process, the community members are also proposing school district policy reforms that include:
1. Establishing term limits for Alum Rock Trustees.
2. Prohibiting appointments for Board vacancies during the period between the date of any general election and the date that the results of that general election are certified.
3. Setting minimum requirements for how, where and for how long notice of school board vacancies must be posted.
4. Setting minimum requirements for other outreach efforts that the district must conduct during school board vacancy appointment processes.
5. Requiring public comment during all public meetings of the school board.
The Alum Rock school board meeting will take place at district headquarters, located at 2930 Gay Ave., San Jose, CA 95127.